MultiLedger version 7.0 and higher allows for 30 months to be open at one time. When you try and save a transaction in the 31st month in version 7.1, you will be prompted that the date lies outside of the open period or is in a locked month. In version 7.0.x, you will be prompted that you have entered an date that is invalid. To close a year in MultiLedger:
- Make a backup using the Backup Company command under the File menu in the program. Save the backup to a location that you can easily find and that is off the hard drive that your current data files are saved to.Rename the default backup name to a backup name that clearly labels this backup as a year end backup archive.
- Use MultiLedger to Restore the backup you just saved to another folder clearly labeled as a prior year archive folder.
- Re-open the company data files you wish to Close Year on. This should be the 2nd item in the list under the Open Recent Company command in the File menu.
- Select Close Year under the File menu.
- You will be prompted that a backup must be saved to continue the Close Year utility. Click OK.
- Save a second backup to another location of your choice. Rename the backup archive to indicate a year end backup and choose Save.
- When the backup is complete, you will receive a message, click OK.
- You will be prompted that all the transactions through (date indicated on the message window) will be deleted. Proceed? Click Yes.
Backup and Restore instructions are located in the MultiLedger Manual.pdf located under the Help menu in your MultiLedger program and in other articles in this Knowledge Base. You can also see Backup and Restore or Close Year by selecting Tutorials here or under Quick Links on the left side of the web site window.