To create an employee bonus check that’s separate from the employee paycheck, follow these steps:
1. Set up a Bonus as a Variable Amount calculation using the Additional Income window.
For more information on setting up an Additional Income category, see your User’s Manual.
2. Assign the Bonus to the appropriate employees on the Income tab of the Employees window.
For more information on assigning an Additional Income category to an employee, see your User’s Manual.
3. If necessary, set up a ledger account for the Bonus Additional Income category on the Ledger Accounts window.
For more information on assigning ledger accounts, see your User’s Manual.
4. Click Calculate Pay in the Command Center, set the bonus check date and period beginning and ending dates and click OK.
5. Select the employee from the list. If the employee is salaried, zero out the Salary amount. If the employee is hourly, zero out any Hourly Wages amount, if necessary.
To zero out hourly amounts, click Edit Hours, clear any hours that appear in the Hours list, then click OK.
6. Zero out any additional income and deduction amounts that don’t apply and press TAB.
Note: To prevent a deduction from affecting a bonus check, select Disable Deductions upon entering the screen and select any/all deductions that you do not wish deducted on the bonus check you are calculating.
7. Enter the bonus amount in the bonus edit box and press TAB.
If the bonus Additional Income category doesn’t appear for an employee, make sure that it is assigned to the employee on the Income tab of the Employees window.
8. If necessary, change the amounts shown for Federal W/H, State W/H, and Local W/H.
For guidelines about how much federal tax should be withheld, consult the “Supplemental Wages” section in your Circular E, Employer’s Tax Guide.
For guidelines about how much state or local tax should be withheld, consult your state or local tax guides.
Note: The amounts shown for Social Security and Medicare are exact computations based on values entered on the Federal Tax window. Typically, you would not modify these amounts for an individual check.
9. After all amounts are correct, click Create Check.
10. Enter/verify the check/direct deposit number.
11. Click Create.