You need to have the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed and have it set as your default reader. This is a free download from Adobe’s website. Click link below to get to Adobe’s website.
In Payroll version 7.8.0 and higher, the program utilizes the Adobe Reader program to help with the printing of the federal tax reports. This has 2 advantages. First, the forms that print are published by the IRS so that no error can be made when reproducing the forms. Secondly, since these forms are designed as “fill-in” forms, you can modify numbers, if necessary, even though the payroll program opens the forms filled in for you. There is more information about fill in forms at the IRS web site. Since there are versions of Adobe Reader that are minimum versions that will work, there is a possibility that you require an update to your Adobe Reader version in order to open and utilize this feature in the payroll program.
Adobe Reader must be set as your default .pdf reader on your computer. If you are installing this program for the first time on your computer and are prompted in the install to set as the default program, select Yes.
To designate Adobe Reader as the default program on Macintosh:
- For the 941, there are files called _941.pdf and _941.fdf in the folder where you payroll data is saved. If you print Schedule B, there will also be _941sb.pdf and _941sb.fdf files.
2. Select one of the .pdf or .fdf files. Go under File to Get Info.
3. Click on the Open With drop down list. (Depending on the version of OSX you are running, the exact wording may be slightly different).
4. If the program being displayed is not the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader, Select Other from the drop down list, navigate and select the Adobe Acrobat Reader program.
5. It is necessary to repeat these steps for all of the _941.pdf and .fdf files in the folder where you payroll data is saved.
To designate Adobe Reader as the default program on Windows XP:
- Navigate in Windows Explorer to the payroll data files location on your computer. Payroll creates a file called f941.pdf and f941.fdf in the data files location.
2. Right-click on either f941.pdf or f941.fdf. Highlight the Open With option. If Adobe Reader is not the default program, select the Choose Program option.
3. Select the Adobe Reader program from the list or Browse for it on your computer. Once selected, mark the box labeled, Always use the selected program to open this kind of file. Click OK.
4. It may be necessary to repeat the steps for the other file for Adobe Reader to launch and display the Form 941 filled in on your screen.
To designate Adobe Reader on Windows Vista:
- Open the Control Panel.
2. Open Default Programs.
3. Select Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program.
4. Scroll to .fdf in the list. Click the Change Program button, if necessary, to select Adobe Reader as the program associated with the .fdf file extension.
5. Repeat step 4 for the .pdf file extension.