The following are some tips so that you can submit your NY quarterly reports electronically.
The state of New York requires employers that report 250 or more employees in four consecutive quarters to file electronically, and they encourage any employer with less than 250 employees to do so also. CheckMark Payroll version 8.0 and higher has the ability to create an electronic file based on the Federal Format. Specifics on this format and requirements from the state of New York can be found in Publication 911 that can be downloaded by clicking here.
- New York does require submission of a test file. See the Publication 911 for exact instructions on submitting a test file for approval. New York will notify you when/if your test submission has been successfully processed and certified.
- There are exact specifications regarding punctuation and employee names. They are also listed in Publication 911. The way that an employee name will be included in the file is exactly the way it is entered on the Employee window. Verify all employee names prior to submitting a test file, or any other file to the state.If necessary, to modify your employee name(s):
1. Open Employees on the Command Center.
2. Select the employee name from the list.
3. On the Personal tab, modify fields in their corresponding edit boxes.
This change will be reflected in all reports/checks and electronic files created in CheckMark Payroll.
- Verify that Local taxes have the names that CheckMark Payroll will be able to identify as needing to be included in the electronic file. To do this:
1. Open Local Taxes on the Command Center.
2. Verify that the list of tax tables in the Local Taxes list have names that start with either “Yonkers-” or “NYC-“.
To change the name of a tax table listing:
1. Select the table in the Local Taxes list.
2. Modify the name in the edit box at the top of the list. New York City table must start with NYC- and Yonkers must start with Yonkers-.
You are limited to 12 characters in the table name.