If the location of the boxes where certain information prints is changed by the IRS, resetting the default format in the latest payroll version may be necessary.
To reset the default W-2/W-3 format
- Open the W-2 & W-3 Statements screen from the Command Center.
2. Select the W-2(W-3) on preprinted forms radio button from the list.
3. Hold down the SHIFT key on the keyboard and then the Edit Format button. When the format screen opens, let go of the SHIFT key and close the format screen. Save the changes when prompted.
4. Check the alignment by printing a sample on plain paper. Highlight two employees in the list. If you DO NOT highlight any employees in the list, all employees will print. Since this is only to check alignment, a small sample should be OK. Select the Print button.
5. Check the alignment by holding the printout up to the light with an actual pre-printed form behind it.
All printers are different, so you may still need to make some adjustments to the format. See below for formatting instructions.
- If necessary, select the Edit format button and adjust boxes as necessary to improve the alignment. Print samples on plain paper to check the adjustments.
2. When the alignment is set, insert the preprinted forms into your printer and print the W-2 forms for all employees. Repeat this process for each part that is required by your local, state, and federal filing needs.
3. Repeat these steps for the W-3 statement.