Troubleshooting EFW2 Errors
- State Account Number: In State Tax Values make sure you have entered your state account number. Some states call this number their withholding number. Verify with your states EFW2 specifications to see what number your state would like to show here. An error normally means you have the wrong number
- Delivery Address Error: If you receive this error check to make sure you don’t have blank spaces in the Address line 1 or 2 in Company Information.
- User ID: Select the “EFW2/W-3 Setup” button in the “W2 & W3 Statements” window. This opens a pop up window. In this window there is a “User Id” field. You must register to use Business Services Online at the Social Security website. It allows you to file W2’s online. After Registering, they will give you an identification number. This field is where you enter that number. The Federal E-file will be rejected if this number is missing or wrong.
- Email: There is a EFW2/W-3 Setup button that opens a pop up window. In this window there is an Email Field. This email field is required and has to be to IRS specifications. If you are getting an error about the email, you have not filled the email address field in or it is not in the correct format.
- Invalid Social Security Number: If you get the error “Employee Social Security Numbers should not begin with 9 or 666”, you will need to review your employees setup. The IRS does not allow for any numbers in the SSN field to start with 9 or 666. If they do, you will need to change their number to 000-00-0000 in “Employees” setup window and have the employee contact the IRS to start getting a valid Social Security Number. If you do not correct the those numbers or change to zero’s, the file will not save correctly and won’t uploaded.
- RS Record is Missing: If you get an error that the RS record is missing, chances are you uploaded the Federal copy instead of the State. Our software defaults to the Federal EFW2 and you need to select from the drop down menu which state format you would like to save.
- Records Are Not The Correct Length, 512 Characters: This normally means your state requires the checkbox “CR/LF to EFW2” to be checked in the W-2 & W3 Statements window.
NOTE: WFID, is found in the “EFW2/W3 Setup” Window. The WFID number is assigned by the SSA when requiring an employer to make a change and resubmit an EFW2 file. They will provide a number to enter into this field and make sure you select the “Resubmit” box found at the top of the pop up window.