If you’re getting this error message when trying to open MultiLedger or Payroll files on Mac OS X, it means either the folder the datafiles are in, the application, or the datafiles themselves have lost their access privileges and need to be set to read and write. To do this:
- Highlight the folder, application, or one of the datafiles by clicking on it once.
- Choose Get Info from the File menu.
- If there is a box in the window called “Locked”, make sure this does not have a checkmark in it.
- Then, click the arrow in the drop down list for Ownership & Permissions and select Details.
- If you are a single user running MultiLedger on one computer, make sure the selection for Owner: is “Read & Write”.
- If you are running MultiLedger on more than one networked computer, make sure the selection for all categories is “Read & Write”.
- If you changed any of the permissions for a folder, click the Apply to enclosed items button
- The above should resolve the problem, but if you still have problems, see if the datafiles have lost their access privileges. If they have, you will need to follow the above steps for each of the datafiles in your folder. (e.g. [company name].ml0, .ml1, etc)